The Importance of Obtaining a Police Report after a New Mexico Truck Accident
Because of the size and weight of a semi-truck, any accident involving oversized big rigs colliding with much smaller passenger vehicles can lead to serious property damage and even more severe injuries.
Next is the incredible confusion regarding who is responsible: The truck driver, the trucking company, the truck manufacturer, or another third party.
At the Law Office of Samuel I. Kane, P.A., our New Maxico truck accident attorneys provide the resources our injured clients need to fully investigate the cause of their collision while procuring the necessary evidence to build a strong case against the liable party or combination of parties.
One important factor in the pursuit of all truck accident injury claims begins with a completed police report.
What are the Top Reasons to Obtain a Police Report After a Truck Accident in New Mexico?
No matter where your truck accident occurred, one of the most valuable pieces of evidence to support your case is the police report.
Whether it is completed by local law enforcement officials from the Las Cruces Police Department or officers from the Nevada State Police Department, the official report will document an unbiased account of crash details.
The police report will include:
- Witness statements and contact information for follow up questions
- Specific details regarding who, what, when, where, and why of the truck collision
- Damages and injuries sustained in the truck accident
- Citations, when applicable, for unlawful behavior that led to the crash
At the Law Office of Samuel I. Kane, P.A., our New Mexico truck accident attorneys will review the details of your police report to reveal the necessary evidence to build a strong case on your behalf.
Witness Statements & Contact Information
If you are severely injured in a Las Cruces truck accident, you may not have the ability to collect witness statements and their contact information on your own.
The police who respond to the scene will collect names, phone numbers, and statements from anyone who witnessed the truck accident, which will allow our lawyers to follow up with those individuals later to obtain an official statement.
Who, What, When, Where & Why the Nevada Truck Accident Occurred
The police report will record details that include:
- Who was involved in the accident, including the truck driver, you, and any other drivers who were involved in the collision
- What damages and injuries resulted from the crash
- When the accident occurred, including the time and date
- Where the collision took place, including the location, street directions, and circumstances of the crash
- Why the accident occurred, including speeding, distracted driving, or faulty brakes and if any driver was given a citation for recklessness or unlawful behavior at the scene
After the police report is completed, seek medical care right away for your injuries. Once you understand the severity of your injuries and have a strategy to pursue the medical care you need, we will fully investigate the crash to obtain the evidence we need to move forward with your case.