Las Cruces, New Mexico Truck Accident Lawyer
At The Law Office of Samuel I. Kane P.A., our Las Cruces, New Mexico truck accident attorney and support staff believe in educating our clients about the legal process, so they know exactly what to expect as their personal injury case unfolds.
Our Doña Ana County and Las Cruces, New Mexico truck accident lawyer provides personalized representation and resources for our injury clients to face their case with confidence. We understand that when you are hurt in a semi-truck collision, you are going to need medical care that can be costly, and that can keep you out of work, doubling the financial burden.
We want to help you understand your rights after a truck accident, so we can pursue the liable party for your financial recovery together.
Why Are Semi-Truck Accidents So Different From Car Crashes?
One major difference with semi-truck accidents is that several parties may be liable for the injuries our clients sustain during the crash.
The common liable parties can include the:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Truck manufacturer
- Truck maintenance crew and company
- Cargo loaders
- Third-party contractors
- Municipalities, counties, or the State of New Mexico who permitted large trucks to use roadways that were not meant for their travel
Another major difference is the size and weight of semi-trucks, which can lead to much more severe injuries to drivers and passengers in much smaller vehicles.
Severe Injuries Can Occur During New Mexico Truck Accidents
When semi-trucks collide with other vehicles during a crash, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic.
The most common injuries associated with New Mexico truck accidents can include:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken and crushed bones
- Burn injuries
- Head injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death
Each injury that is caused by these large trucks takes time to heal, and the severity of the injury can require:
- Long-term rehabilitation and therapy
- Medical equipment rentals or purchases
- Prescription medications
- Specialized medical care
- Time away from work
As an injury victim, you should never have to pay for these services or your lost wages out of your pocket. At The Law Office of Samuel I. Kane P.A., our Las Cruces, New Mexico truck accident attorney will pursue the proper party ― or a combination of liable parties ― for your physical, emotional, and financial recovery while you focus on healing.
What If My Truck Accident Was Caused By The Truck Driver’s Error?
Truck driver error is a common cause of truck accidents throughout New Mexico.
The most common types of truck driver error can include, but are not limited to:
- Aggressive driving
- Disobeying traffic signs and signals
- Distracted driving, including cellphone or GPS use
- Driver fatigue
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to yield or stop
- Hours of service violations
- Improper lane changes or merges
- Unsafe lane changes
When truck drivers are negligent behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler, the consequences can be catastrophic for our clients and their families.
Truck Driver Fatigue Accidents In New Mexico
Rest time is required to be taken during the 14 hours on duty, to account for three hours of the truck driver’s actual shift time.
After 14 hours on duty, all truck drivers must take ten full hours off before beginning a new shift behind the wheel of a semi-truck.
Truck drivers who avoid sleep can create serious risks for other motorists who share the roadways with the exhausted hauler, and when an accident occurs because of their negligence, our truck accident lawyer in New Mexico wants to help you hold them accountable for your financial recovery.
How Can I Prove Trucking Company Liability After A Truck Accident In New Mexico?
Our accomplished Las Cruces, New Mexico trucking accident lawyer has the resources and investigative skills necessary to conduct the research that is required to hold the trucking company liable for our clients’ injuries when their negligence is at fault.
Common examples of trucking company liability can include:
- Failing to conduct a background check on the truck driver
- Failing to confirm the truck driver’s valid Commercial Driver’s License
- Failing to identify a pattern of misconduct by a truck driver, which could include driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to perform routine maintenance on the truck
- Failing to properly service the truck’s brakes, tires, or other parts
- Failing to properly train employees
- Forcing truck drivers to break the law by surpassing hours of service regulations
- Hiring a truck driving who is unfit to drive a large commercial truck
- Imposing unrealistic delivery schedules that force truck drivers to speed or forego sleep
- Negligently hiring an unqualified employee
- Overloading a truck or leaving the cargo unsecured
What If My Truck Accident Was Caused By A Truck Defect?
Mechanical failures or truck parts and components defects can cause a serious truck accident that leads to severe injuries. Without notice, especially in an ill-maintained semi-truck, failures can occur that leave the truck driver unable to control the large vehicle.
Common truck defects can include, but are not limited to:
- Brake failures
- Broken or malfunctioning steering columns or wheels
- Damaged axels
- Defective cargo straps or tie downs
- Malfunctioning lights, including turn signals and safety lights
- Overheated engines
- Tire defects, including bald tires, tread separation, pre-existing damage, and blowouts
- Transmission failure
What If I Have Lost A Loved One In A Fatal Trucking Accident?
New Mexico truck crashes are unpredictable, and can often lead to the loss of a loved one when an accident does occur.
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal truck accident, you may be eligible to pursue a wrongful death claim against the negligent party.
Wrongful death compensation can include:
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish the deceased experienced before their death
- Medical bills incurred before their death
- Property damage and losses
- Lost wages and earnings your loved one would have provided
- Loss of inheritance
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of companionship, affection, services, and consortium your loved one provided
- Punitive damages in exceptional cases
Contact Our Las Cruces, New Mexico Truck Accident Attorney Now
If you have been injured in a truck accident or have tragically lost a loved one in a crash, contact our experienced Las Cruces, New Mexico attorney today at The Law Office of Samuel I. Kane P.A., by calling (575) 222-0472 to discuss your case during a free consultation. We are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day to assess your needs, and provide the guidance necessary to build your case and produce results.